The best tribute to Dr Kalam: Make India’s Parliament Productive

The best tribute to Dr Kalam: Make India’s Parliament Productive


A member of the parliament, once elected, should spend only 30% of the time for political politics and the remaining 70% time must be devoted on development politics. This is what Dr. Kalam had spoken of at various forums on how to re-invent our political system to build a developed India. Even on the last day of his life, he had planned a surprise assignment for the students of IIM Shillong on finding innovative ways to end parliament disruptions and make it more vibrant & productive. As per newspaper reports, a washout of the currently ongoing monsoon session will cost the exchequer to the tune to an estimated Rs. 260 crores with no productive work at all. Parliament is a forum for debate and discussion; disruptions are dangerous for democracy and homicidal to the spirit of parliament. During the funeral ceremony of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram, one witnessed what Dr. Kalam had always succeeded in doing – to get all together on a common platform.  As TOI’s headline read, “In death, Abdul Kalam gets all parties to share one stage”. What can thus be the best‪ tribute to the man who was working tirelessly even on his last day? Time our politicians pays some heed to what Dr. Kalam had always aspired for. Make India’s Parliament more productive. Transform our nation into a developed country.

Pic Courtesy:


Raktim Das

Raktim is a strategy and business development professional with over 20 years TV, Print & Digital media experience in leadership roles with leading media organizations like Times Group, India Today Group, HT Media, Zee News Limited, NewsX and Network 18 Media. He can reached at

Leave a comment


Back to Top